This article will show you how to create a report and retrieve data from the search event.
The search event is triggered every time a user makes a search in a publication or in the search tab.
Finding the data in GA4:
1. Go to your GA4 property.
2. Go to ‘Explorations’ by clicking on Explore in the menu to the left.
3. Click on the '+' Create a new exploration
4. Every time a new report is created you need to add the ’Dimensions’ and ‘Metrics’ that should be used in the report.
4.a Dimensions: When clicking on Dimensions you will get a list of all Googles standard dimension and Visiolink’s custom parameters. You always need to include the Dimension ‘Event Name’ as this is used in all our filters. Further, you can view the list of custom parameters that can be included for the search event here. In this Example we will add the dimensions 'Event Name' and 'Search_word'.
4.b Metrics: Here we will use the metric ‘Event Count’ which is a standard google metric that refers to the number of times an event is triggered.
5. When the Dimensions and Metric is added, you can start setting up your report.
6. Start by filling out the report as this (See picture below):
Add a filter for ‘Event name’ Contains ‘vl_event_search’
Add ‘Event Count’ under Values.
Add ‘Event name’ and 'Search_word' under Rows.
7. Now you can see the total number of searches and what the users have search for. To see even more searches, click the ‘Show row’ dropdown menu in the settings and select your desired number of rows. If you select 100 rows, you will be able to see data for the 100 most frequent searches in your publication for the selected date range.
8. Remember to name your report - then you will be able to find the report again